Mission Summary Edit
- Get acquainted with Hacknet's User Interface
- Remove SecurityTracer.exe
- Click Scan Network, another PC appears, the name will change with every game.
- Disconnect from your machine
- Click on the newly discovered PC
- The "console" window is now available, probe the PC by typing "probe" or "nmap"
- You are presented with a list of ports, all ports are closed but not required for the hack, enter "PortHack" into the console, please note all commands can be auto completed by pressing Tab
- Scan the newly hacked PC for additional access points, type "scan"
- Display the filesystem of the PC you are connected to by typing "ls"
- navigate to the bin folder by way of "cd bin"
- open the only file in the bin directory by typing cat "config.txt"
- move to the previous directory by typing "cd.." note that .. denotes back or up in the filesystem
- access the log folder by typing "cd log"
- remove all traces of your activity by typing "rm *" asterisk denotes all files in the active directory
- with all traces removed, disconnect by typing "dc"
- now all you need to do is close the tutorial by killing the process, it will be a different process id each time you start a new game
- scan process id's by typing "ps"
- kill the process linked to the tutorial by typing "kill (process #)
Bypassing the tutorial Edit
Typing "kill (process #) as soon as the console boots after the first few steps will allow you to skip the tutorial.
A Little Security Check Edit
After receiving your first email from Bit, he informs you that someone has placed a security tracker on your machine. You must remove it before proceeding.
- Disconnect from the email server if you haven't already
- Type "ls" to display your filesystem
- All "exe" files are stored in the bin directory. type "cd bin" to reveal SecurityTracer.exe.
- Type "rm *" since this is the only file in the directory
- Go back to your email and reply to Bit to complete the tutorial